Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Oh, belly flab, why do you love me so much?

I gained a lot of weight when I was pregnant with the twins.  I was fortunate enough to give birth at 39 weeks.  The boys were larger than average twins.  Alex weighed 6 pounds, 15 ounces.  And Will weighed 6 pounds, 9 ounces.  I’ve been trying to lose weight and I did lose quite a bit about two years ago.  But I’ve got quite a bit more to go.  But nothing has come off in the last two years.  I keep telling myself I need to cut myself some slack……I did give birth to TWINS.  But now that they’re over 4 years old, that excuse isn’t flying anymore.  I started running 2 years ago, but I hurt my back lifting Alex out of his crib.  So I went to physical therapy and got better, started running, hurt my back again, back to physical therapy, got better and now I’m back to running.  Problem is that I don’t do my back exercises consistently.  I need to do them about 3 times a week.  It takes me around 30 to 40 minutes to do them all correctly.  Of course, I’m doing them about once a week, hence why I still have occasional back pain.  I try to see my physical therapist once a week, but haven’t seen her in the last two.  And I’ve been off and on the Weight Watchers band wagon but the boys’ snacks are just too tempting (darn Pirate Booty.)  But I’m determined to find a way to get back to what I weighed before the twins were born.  (I am being realistic; I’m not trying to get to the weight I was when I got married, or even the weight I was before Harrison was born.)  I especially want to get rid of this belly!  I know it has stretched so much with Alex and Will that it had its own zip code at one point.  But I think I can shrink it back.  I think.  Then I saw my doctor today for my annual physical and I talked to her about this flab that just keeps sticking to my belly.  And she told me that most women who give birth to twins aren’t able to completely lose that flab without the help of surgery.  Great.  Just great.  Surgery doesn't appeal to me.  But I don’t want to give up.  So I'll keep running.  I may get back on the Weight Watchers wagon again.  Maybe I won’t ever look like I did before the twins were born.   But I will try to get as close to that as I possibly can.  I just hope I can do it before the boys go to college.

1 comment:

  1. How about Zumba? :-) And for the record, I think you look GREAT!

    ReplyDelete