Friday, September 2, 2011

Nostril Fun

About three weeks ago, one of my sons, Alex (age 4), kept fussing with the left side of his nostril.  He tried to blow his nose and he kept putting his finger in it.  I grabbed a flashlight and tried to look inside, but he cried and screamed like crazy, so I gave up.  I figured it was just a really big booger that he would eventually pick out and smear somewhere where I least expect it.  About a week later, his nostril start to drip a little and I thought his allergies were acting up.  A few days later, he got a hold of a red marker (washable marker....only type allowed in the house) and scribbled on his leg, rubbed it in his belly button, and rubbed it in his left nostril.  I wiped him up and all is well.  The next day, his nostril is bleeding just a little.  And it's still runny, just on that side of his nose.  I give it a few more days and finally decide to take him to the pediatrician.  We find out that there's blockage but she can't tell what it is (could be mucus) so she sends us to the pediatric EENT doctor.  We go there today and the doctor says there's some kind of foam/sponge inside.  I immediately remember the boys playing with these toy capsules that the boys would soak in water and they would grow into foam shapes of dinosaurs.  I hold Alex down and the doctor grabs some special tweezers and pulls the foam out and.......there is this horrendous smell that fills the room.  Not quite like a poopy diaper, but more like rotted food, but not super pungent either.  Hard to describe.  Apparently, this moist foam had been sitting in his nose for about 3 weeks, collecting all sorts of interesting bacteria.  His nostril immediately had a read stream of blood gushing out that lasted about a minute.  It stopped and the doctor said his nostril was swollen inside but will heal on its own in the next few days.  Six years of having kids and this is the first time one of them shoved something up his nose that got stuck.  Not bad!  Our pediatrician also told me that she had a patient who came in and had something stuck up his nose for two years!  Hey, I only waited three weeks! 

4 comments:

  1. Let me be the first to say congrats on starting your blog!

    And whoever drew your header is a total HACK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the header! And enjoying the stories about the boys. No kids of my own, so I live vicariously through others. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Susan... I can only imagine your face as the doctor pulls out that sponge... LOL...And the adventures your boys send you on, amazing. Between my 4 girls only one liked to put things in her visible holes! Alina at 3 years old put a pop corn seed in her ear... to see if she could grow an "ear of corn" and a year later at 4 years old she heard me make the comment to her older sister about sneezing money everytime she wanted me to buy her something new... wouldn't you know Alina shoves a penny up her nose to see if she too could sneeze out money... And I had used the phrase sneeze out money rather than shit out money, thinking I was being "safe" with watching what I say around those minds that are like sponges soaking in everything I say... I can't win! Alina still repeats everything she hears and she's 11! And my adventure with 4 girls continues... reading your blog brings back so many memories of things my kids have done, that I would one day like to blog about... just for the fun of it...I'm sure we are NOT the only mom's who's kids put things where they didn't belong! Good luck and keep up the great work on your blog!

    ReplyDelete